Old 13-06-2010, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default What is this weed called?

In article ,
Terri Louise wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

Is it an ornamental garden, or a nutritional garden? Chickweed is very
nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can
scarcely be distinguished from spring spinach.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Stellaria+media
Would you like it better if it was wrapped in plastic, and came from the
frozen food section of your local supermarket at $2.50/package?

Chickweed was reportedly used at times for food. Chickweed enjoys a
reputation as treating a wide spectrum of conditions in folk medicine,
ranging from asthma and indigestion to skin diseases. Traditional
Chinese herbalists used a tea made from chickweed to treat nosebleeds.
http://www.holisticonline.com/herbal-med/_Herbs/h45.htm

I have some in germinating as I type, along with some purslane. I am
envious of your luck.

Congratulations! Don't screw it up.
--
- Billy