Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Registered User

Default What is this weed called?

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...se177/0013.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...se177/0044.jpg

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?
Old 13-06-2010, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Terri Louise wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

Is it an ornamental garden, or a nutritional garden? Chickweed is very
nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can
scarcely be distinguished from spring spinach.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Stellaria+media
Would you like it better if it was wrapped in plastic, and came from the
frozen food section of your local supermarket at $2.50/package?

Chickweed was reportedly used at times for food. Chickweed enjoys a
reputation as treating a wide spectrum of conditions in folk medicine,
ranging from asthma and indigestion to skin diseases. Traditional
Chinese herbalists used a tea made from chickweed to treat nosebleeds.
http://www.holisticonline.com/herbal-med/_Herbs/h45.htm

I have some in germinating as I type, along with some purslane. I am
envious of your luck.

Congratulations! Don't screw it up.
--
- Billy
Old 13-06-2010, 10:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Terri Louise
writes

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

It's Euphorbia peplus (petty spurge). I suspect that it is less toxic
than many Euphorbias, but it is still poisonous. Furthermore, the latex
from broken stems and leaves can get transferred from your hands to your
mouth and eyes, so unlike many plants, you can be effected without
actually eating the plants.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-06-2010, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 22:57:10 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Terri Louise wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

[...]

I agree on chickweed. It doesn't like the heat and will be gone soon
here in middle TN. I'm hoping a mowed patch comes back enough before
then so I can harvest some - it's great for the skin.
Old 13-06-2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 12, 4:27*pm, Terri Louise Terri.Louise.
wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

--
Terri Louise

It looks like chickweed.

Frank Lardino

Old 13-06-2010, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Terri Louise wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

Is it an ornamental garden, or a nutritional garden? Chickweed is very
nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can

It doesn't look like chickweed to me. Chickweed leaves are pointed.
Chickweed leaves are always in twos. But then UK chickweed may be different
than US chickweed. And it may bloom later over there. Here it would have
bloomed by now and the flowers look like:

http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Chickweed/h0013.htm

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old 14-06-2010, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Don Wiss
writes

Terri Louise wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

Is it an ornamental garden, or a nutritional garden? Chickweed is very
nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can

It doesn't look like chickweed to me. Chickweed leaves are pointed.
Chickweed leaves are always in twos. But then UK chickweed may be different
than US chickweed. And it may bloom later over there. Here it would have
bloomed by now and the flowers look like:

http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Chickweed/h0013.htm

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

In the UK chickweed applies to Stellaria media (common chickweed),
Stellaria pallida (lesser chickweed) and Stellaria neglecta (greater
chickweed), Holosteum umbellatum (jagged chickweed), Myosoton aquaticum
(water chickweed) and Moenchia erecta (upright chickweed).

There is also a chickweed wintergreen (Trientalis europaeus).

Stellaria media is the common one.

Wikipedia adds Cerastium and Paronychia to the mix, so that might be
part of US usage (I just call Cerastium mouse-ear, rather than mouse-ear
chickweed, and Paronychia is not native to the UK.) Wikipedia also gives
star chickweed for Stellaria pubera (an eastern American plant).

I don't see any reason to think that the identification of this plant as
chickweed is correct, even with the vagaries of vernacular names.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-06-2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Terri Louise
writes

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

It's Euphorbia peplus (petty spurge). I suspect that it is less toxic than
many Euphorbias, but it is still poisonous. Furthermore, the latex from
broken stems and leaves can get transferred from your hands to your mouth
and eyes, so unlike many plants, you can be effected without actually
eating the plants.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I concur with you. The simple test of petty spurge vs. chickweed is if it
has milky sap (spurge yes; chickweed no).

Old 14-06-2010, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Wallace said:

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in

message
In message , Terri Louise
writes

http://tinyurl.com/34kw5gk

http://tinyurl.com/3824w3g

It is an absolute nightmare in my garden, it's everywhere! I think it's
chickweed, but can anyone confirm this, and state what type it is?

It's Euphorbia peplus (petty spurge). I suspect that it is less toxic than
many Euphorbias, but it is still poisonous. Furthermore, the latex from
broken stems and leaves can get transferred from your hands to your
mouth
and eyes, so unlike many plants, you can be effected without actually
eating the plants.

I concur with you. The simple test of petty spurge vs. chickweed is if it
has milky sap (spurge yes; chickweed no).

I'll concur with Stewart and Wallace in that this is NOT chickweed and that
you should (carefully) check it for a milky sap as it may be a spurge. The
sap can be very irritating to the skin (in med. talk, "escharotic").

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored