Old 13-06-2010, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default When's the LATEST I can start tomatoes?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

You're better off direct-sowing them at this point rather than starting
them indoors.

I thought about that, but my current beds are quite "rough," made up mainly
of last year's leaves. I could put a handful of commercial soil into a hole
to plant the seeds, but I fear they'd get completely swallowed by the
leaves.

Did you sow them in pellets or just scatter them in a half a milk carton
(etc)?

I planted them in Jiffy peat pellets. About three seeds to a pellet.

As long as you didn't plant a late-season variety you should be fine. The
volunteer tomatoes here usually almost catch up with the early transplants.

What constitutes early or late varieties? Some of mine mature in 70-85
days, and others more toward 100 days.
--S.