Old 13-06-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More "cold weather - happy plants"

In article , Sacha wrote:

I wondered about apples because I remember talking to Martin Crawford
from Dartington Agroforestry a couple of years ago. He was worried
that milder winters would eventually affect apple crops as apple trees
need a good period of dormancy.

We will continue to get that, because of the dark. But it seems that
some cold is needed as well, to grow them well. It is possible that
the best apple areas may move northwards a bit, but that isn't exactly
a national tragedy!

I am still concerned about the North Atlantic Drift ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.