Old 15-06-2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default When's the LATEST I can start tomatoes?

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

I believe that some early setting varieties are early because they set
at lower minimum night time temp. (Got a ref somewhere for that, Billy).
So, what are your night time temps going to be in a couple months? How
late in the season do your tomatoes set?

It gets pretty hot here; about 110 in days and 75-85 at night. (But by
misting my tomatoes and putting them in partial shade I can get them to set
fruit even in the high temps.) By the time my seeds are ready to plant
outside, it'll be in the hottest part of the year. So maybe the "later"
tomatoes wouldn't do so bad after all.

I'm thinking that you will do better to buy some plants already started.

I did just that. I am still planting my seeds, but there comes a point
where you either stick to your organic principles and accept that you won't
be getting any tomatoes until September, or you swallow your pride and buy
plants from the stores. A home grown hybrid tomato is still better for you
than a store-bought tomato, anyway. So I picked up 55 plants from various
nurseries, and hopefully I'll have a few of my neat heirlooms at the end of
the year as well.
--S.