Old 18-06-2010, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default always wet area next to house

Maybe you need roof gutters, and/or need to unclog them.

Just had new roof gutters and downspouts installed as part of
purchasing this house. I can attest that they are working fine, because
the water coming out at the south end of the house blasted my mulch out
into the yard several feet.

So long as you don't have a basement and/or water is not coming in

I have a basement, but it has only been affected by water once in the
last 4 months, and that was a trickle that went away quickly after a
very heavy downpour.

Part of the issue is that this place was built with virtually no roof
overhang. The older homes I've lived in had probably 2' of roof
overhang, but this one was built in 1979, and the roof only sticks out
about 2" more than the side of the house. Thus, if the wind is blowing
at all, a lot of rain is hitting the west side of the house and running
down into this area.

I haven't completely figured out what we are going to do in this area
long term. My wife would like something more along the lines of an old
fashioned porchf. Right now there is just a small raised slab by the
front door. Mostly I was hoping to have some nice yellow pear tomatoes
the same year we moved in, but I may have to settle for a fall garden
with greens.