Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Sharon Frey

Default Algae eaters question

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message ...
Hi. If I get some SAEs and some Amano shrimp. Should I still get some
ottos? Or are the SAE and shrimp enough for algae control?

Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

Otto's are the best for control of "brown" algae and also the easiest
to find at a local fish store. Once the dreaded "brown" algae is
under control you will see them with very fat bellys at work on the
algae fuzz you can't see on the interior glass. Then they just graze
on algae wherever they find it.

Otocinclus don't always do well without lots of plants and lots of
plants benefit from Malaysian Trumpet Snails. The "MTS" is the
aquatic substrate earthworm. It burrows eats and aerates.

While the Otto is unassuming, SAEs have great presence and
personalities and graze as well. Juvenile SAE's are the best for an
existing algae problem. Adults just graze and know your footsteps.
As for Amano algae eating shrimp, I don't have any and thus can't
speak.

Big picture; algae control is a fine balance of plants critters and
patience. Think the Hawaii Islands. Volcano erupts from the ocean
floor. Bird flys over and poops some seed. The climate is perfect.
Seed naturalizes.

Best,

Sharon