Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Algae eaters question

Hi. If I get some SAEs and some Amano shrimp. Should I still get some
ottos? Or are the SAE and shrimp enough for algae control?

Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM

In article
,
"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

Hi. If I get some SAEs and some Amano shrimp. Should I still get some
ottos? Or are the SAE and shrimp enough for algae control?

Well, they all kind of play their own part in terms of their preference
for types of algae so I'd say yes get some of each. It depends on how
big your tank is on how many you get. There was a recent thread here on
how many people have of each in various size tanks. Check and read that
thread to compare some notes. I find the three you mentioned the best(if
not basically essential) in a planted tank. Another good algae eater is
the Florida Flagfish. I've had some problems with them though not
getting along with my Rams and a lone male betta in the tank. Others
have said they get along fine in their tank so YMMV. Mine was very good
at algae control but again not very social after a while. HTH,

Scott
Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
kush

Oh, get the ottos, too, they're so cool. Get a whole bunch.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Dinky

Yep, cuz 40% will die in the first week. The rest will be with you for yearsg

--
------

"kush" wrote in message
: Oh, get the ottos, .......... Get a whole bunch.
:

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
350X_Rider

true... true....

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Bob Alston

Be careful about shrimp if you have clown loaches or other botias. I
have 1 clown and two other botias. The shrimps slowly disappeared.

I also agree with both the SAEs and ottos. I got a dozen small SAEs
and they grew up together. I like the way they school.

I have approx 5 ottos in my 55 tank w/ injected co2 and flourite
gravel. Still get some algae on the glass that is more than the ottos
can handle.

For stringy algae, I found two rosy barbs to do wonders.

Bob

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
LeighMo

Hi. If I get some SAEs and some Amano shrimp. Should I still get some
ottos? Or are the SAE and shrimp enough for algae control?

I would get the otos. Otos eat different kinds of algae. They have sucker
mouths, and can clean the glass, flat leaves, etc., in a way SAEs and shrimp
can't. And they're really small, so it's not like they're a huge load on the
tank.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Sharon Frey

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message ...
Hi. If I get some SAEs and some Amano shrimp. Should I still get some
ottos? Or are the SAE and shrimp enough for algae control?

Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

Otto's are the best for control of "brown" algae and also the easiest
to find at a local fish store. Once the dreaded "brown" algae is
under control you will see them with very fat bellys at work on the
algae fuzz you can't see on the interior glass. Then they just graze
on algae wherever they find it.

Otocinclus don't always do well without lots of plants and lots of
plants benefit from Malaysian Trumpet Snails. The "MTS" is the
aquatic substrate earthworm. It burrows eats and aerates.

While the Otto is unassuming, SAEs have great presence and
personalities and graze as well. Juvenile SAE's are the best for an
existing algae problem. Adults just graze and know your footsteps.
As for Amano algae eating shrimp, I don't have any and thus can't
speak.

Big picture; algae control is a fine balance of plants critters and
patience. Think the Hawaii Islands. Volcano erupts from the ocean
floor. Bird flys over and poops some seed. The climate is perfect.
Seed naturalizes.

Best,

Sharon