Old 22-06-2010, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default What to put on tree with stripped bark

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

Something got into a dwarf plum tree and stripped bark from
most of one side. It even got into the tree a few feet above the ground. There are teeth marks everywhere. The tree is
about four feet tall and we don't have many deer around here.
I'm guessing a rabbit. There was one that was near the tree
when I was out there.

It only takes one deer... unless your rabbit has Dumbo ears I
seriously doubt it could reach a few feet above the ground. However
deer don't leave teeth marks, neither rabbits... could be some other
critter.

What would be good to put on the stripped areas to keep the
branches from dieing? Somewhere I heard that when pruning
a tree it isn't necessary to put pruning paint on but with
this much damage I think something needs to be applied.

Nowadays most arborists suggest placing nothing on tree bark wounds,
they'll heal more quickly and cleanly. Deer love stonefruit tree
bark, you'd best fence your trees.