Old 21-06-2010, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What to put on tree with stripped bark

Something got into a dwarf plum tree and stripped bark from
most of one side. It even got into the tree a few feet above
the ground. There are teeth marks everywhere. The tree is
about four feet tall and we don't have many deer around here.
I'm guessing a rabbit. There was one that was near the tree
when I was out there.

What would be good to put on the stripped areas to keep the
branches from dieing? Somewhere I heard that when pruning
a tree it isn't necessary to put pruning paint on but with
this much damage I think something needs to be applied.

I'm hunting Wabbit...
Mysterious Traveler

Old 22-06-2010, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/21/10 3:58 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
Something got into a dwarf plum tree and stripped bark from
most of one side. It even got into the tree a few feet above
the ground. There are teeth marks everywhere. The tree is
about four feet tall and we don't have many deer around here.
I'm guessing a rabbit. There was one that was near the tree
when I was out there.

What would be good to put on the stripped areas to keep the
branches from dieing? Somewhere I heard that when pruning
a tree it isn't necessary to put pruning paint on but with
this much damage I think something needs to be applied.

I'm hunting Wabbit...
Mysterious Traveler

Paint the wound with white glue to seal it. Use any general purpose
white glue: Willhold, Elmer's, Glue Bird, or a "house" brand.

Then buy 1/4-inch wire mesh, about 3 feet wide and long enough to wrap
loosely around the trunk more than twice. Wrap the mesh around the
trunk, not real tight but not real loose. Fasten the free end to the
rest of the mesh with bent paperclips. If you detect that some animal
has lifted the mesh, unwrap, staple the inner end to the trunk, and then
rewrap. Check the mesh 3-4 times during the growing season to make sure
that the trunk has not grown to make the mesh too tight.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 22-06-2010, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, David, for the above info. Very informitive and
I'll keep
it for future reference.

Old 22-06-2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 21, 6:58*pm, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
Something got into a dwarf plum tree and stripped bark from
most of one side. It even got into the tree a few feet above
the ground. There are teeth marks everywhere. The tree is
about four feet tall and we don't have many deer around here.
I'm guessing a rabbit. There was one that was near the tree
when I was out there.

What would be good to put on the stripped areas to keep the
branches from dieing? Somewhere I heard that when pruning
a tree it isn't necessary to put pruning paint on but with
this much damage I think something needs to be applied.

I'm hunting Wabbit...
Mysterious Traveler

I was wondering what this group is all about?

Thanks!
Old 22-06-2010, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

4 feet tall? Is it a new tree? I would just dig it up and start
over.

Una

Old 22-06-2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/21/2010 06:31 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a good plan. I'll try that.

Thanks
Mysterious Traveler

Old 22-06-2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/22/2010 11:13 AM, Una wrote:
4 feet tall? Is it a new tree? I would just dig it up and start
over.

Una

It's about twenty years old, it's wide but not very tall.

Old 22-06-2010, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

Something got into a dwarf plum tree and stripped bark from
most of one side. It even got into the tree a few feet above the ground. There are teeth marks everywhere. The tree is
about four feet tall and we don't have many deer around here.
I'm guessing a rabbit. There was one that was near the tree
when I was out there.

It only takes one deer... unless your rabbit has Dumbo ears I
seriously doubt it could reach a few feet above the ground. However
deer don't leave teeth marks, neither rabbits... could be some other
critter.

What would be good to put on the stripped areas to keep the
branches from dieing? Somewhere I heard that when pruning
a tree it isn't necessary to put pruning paint on but with
this much damage I think something needs to be applied.

Nowadays most arborists suggest placing nothing on tree bark wounds,
they'll heal more quickly and cleanly. Deer love stonefruit tree
bark, you'd best fence your trees.