Old 23-06-2010, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jason Moody Jason Moody is offline

Default new lawn

On Jun 22, 2:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft *X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I *have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan

--
alanbrook

Alan,

I don't think I would worry about a weed membrane. I think I would
definetly put down as much topsoil as I could get over the clay, and
then lay the sod. Then get to know Weed and Feed. Not many things
other than your grass can live through a properly applied regimine of
Weed and Feed.