Old 24-06-2010, 06:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] msuizzofan@yahoo.com is offline

Default new lawn

On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft *X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I *have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan

--
alanbrook

Alan,

Don't be stingy on the topsoil! We were and our clay-concentrated
yard get rock solid very easily.

Keeping the horsetail gone is an ongoing process, much of its food is
stored in the root system, so they keep coming back. You'll probably
be weeding it for years :-(

Good luck,

Karen