Old 29-06-2010, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Garlic problem

Lintama wrote:

Can anybody tell me please why the cloves haven't developed?

Only in a general way: Garlic has the worst of both worlds: a poor
competitor and a heavy feeder. So if there aren't enough nutrients or too
much weed competition you'll get small bulbs. Not having the main bulb
divide into cloves is just an extreme case.
If it was hardneck garlic, you should cut off the scapes ("flower" stalks)
when they form to direct energy into the bulb.
It's also best to get your seed garlic from close to home, so you have
something adapted to local conditions.
Moisture is critical when the bulbs are sizing up, but I'm guessing in most
of the U.K. this isn't a problem?