Old 28-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Registered User

Default Garlic problem

Just dug up some of my garlic which was planted last autumn. I was looking forward to some nice big bulbs. However, they are not so big. Medium size I suppose but what has bothered me is that the cloves haven't developed. What I have got are just large bulbs. I dug up some as they have sprouted leaves and a flower stalk so I would assume they are ready to harvest.

Can anybody tell me please why the cloves haven't developed?
Old 29-06-2010, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lintama wrote:

Can anybody tell me please why the cloves haven't developed?

Only in a general way: Garlic has the worst of both worlds: a poor
competitor and a heavy feeder. So if there aren't enough nutrients or too
much weed competition you'll get small bulbs. Not having the main bulb
divide into cloves is just an extreme case.
If it was hardneck garlic, you should cut off the scapes ("flower" stalks)
when they form to direct energy into the bulb.
It's also best to get your seed garlic from close to home, so you have
something adapted to local conditions.
Moisture is critical when the bulbs are sizing up, but I'm guessing in most
of the U.K. this isn't a problem?

Old 30-06-2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:01:41 +0000, Lintama
wrote:

Just dug up some of my garlic which was planted last autumn. I was
looking forward to some nice big bulbs. However, they are not so big.
Medium size I suppose but what has bothered me is that the cloves
haven't developed. What I have got are just large bulbs. I dug up some
as they have sprouted leaves and a flower stalk so I would assume they
are ready to harvest.

Can anybody tell me please why the cloves haven't developed?

Sounds like you might leave it in the ground longer. You want to
harvest when all the leaves are turning brown but there are still
maybe three that are mostly green. Each leaf represents a layer that
covers and protects the bulb. If you leave it too long the cloves are
not protected well and the bulbs store badly. Harvest too soon and
they haven't grown as much as they could.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Registered User

Thanks to both people who responded.

I don't think that I did anything wrong according to your suggestions.
The garlic was planted last Sept or Oct. Perhaps they were planted too deeply. I pushed them in to about 2 inches below the surface. Water hasn't been a problem. I dug some up to see how they were. Also the flower stalks were coming up so I cut those off. A lot of the leaves are now brownish but I don't think that any of the bulbs are divided into cloves. I used ordinary garlic bulbs bought from a supermarket as I have done before. The soil is rich in nutrients due to lots of compost dug in before planting and there are no weeds whatsoever. Looks like it is depth of planting that could be the answer. I seem to remember some years ago planting garlic cloves with the tip showing just above ground and the garlic was successful that time but it was in a different garden with different soil. I think I will try this shallow planting method next time.

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
-

[...]

According to the experts I always plant too deep, four to five inches
in Ohio zone 5. I've planted early and I've planted late and only very
occasionally have I had a head that didn't develop into cloves. I
don't know why it happens. This year I had problems with too much rain
and poor drainage that caused some rot and poor covers on the heads. I
buy garlic I plant online. There's allot more variety out there than
you get at the grocery. Most places sell a pound of only one kind
which is way too much for most people. If you look on ebay you can
find a one pound variety listing. Here's a good place
http://www.keeneorganics.com/

Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bobo wrote:

buy garlic I plant online. There's allot more variety out there than
you get at the grocery

Better yet, go to a local garlic festival (there are lots of them these
days), talk to the growers and buy just a bulb or two of varieties known to
do well in your area. That way, you'll get several seasons of
trial/adaptation and have plenty of seed stock. Or, little space wasted if
that variety doesn't like you.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lintama wrote:

Sorry, never heard of a garlic festival in the UK. I don't think it is
that popular to tell the truth.

Sorry to hear that; I always have a stinkin' good time at a big fall garlic
fest near here.
Maybe you could encourage the giant leek folks to branch out?

Cheers,

Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Lintama wrote:

Sorry, never heard of a garlic festival in the UK. I don't think it is
that popular to tell the truth.

Sorry to hear that; I always have a stinkin' good time at a big fall garlic
fest near here.
Maybe you could encourage the giant leek folks to branch out?

Cheers,

Some Fun read Garlic and Fish & Chips

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/so...ning-0318.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Lintama wrote:

Sorry, never heard of a garlic festival in the UK. I don't think it is
that popular to tell the truth.

Sorry to hear that; I always have a stinkin' good time at a big fall garlic
fest near here.
Maybe you could encourage the giant leek folks to branch out?

Cheers,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Some Fun read Garlic and Fish & Chips

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/so...ning-0318.html

Now you've gone and done it. I'll have to call DW and see if she is
working in Cotati today ;O)
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude

A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic problem? Broadback United Kingdom 3 03-06-2007 10:30 AM
Problem with garlic Broadback United Kingdom 3 13-09-2005 11:03 PM
Unusual Garlic problem Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 2 26-04-2003 11:20 PM