Old 29-06-2010, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Why No Flowers ?

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:07:21 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Perennials never do well the first year. Wait until next year. I planted
marigolds this year and they're growing slowly. But I know next year
they'll be huge.

Marigolds are anuals... they won't be back next year unless some
reseed. Many wildflower seeds in those packets are biennial, they
won't flower the first year. It's best to plant wildflowers directly
into the ground, they don't do well in pots.