Old 29-06-2010, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default Why No Flowers ?

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 29-06-2010, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bob wrote:

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Maybe planted too deep. Depth of seed is supposed to be 1 1/2 the
diameter of the seed.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...al_crime_scene
Old 29-06-2010, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Perennials never do well the first year. Wait until next year. I planted
marigolds this year and they're growing slowly. But I know next year
they'll be huge.

Paul

Old 29-06-2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Bob wrote:

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower"
seeds. A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Maybe planted too deep. Depth of seed is supposed to be 1 1/2 the
diameter of the seed.

This seems rather unlikely, it might alter the germination rate but once you
had a jungle of stalks the germination conditions become irrelevant.

If the plants look healthy and they get plenty of sun I would say give them
more time. Six weeks from seed planting is pretty optimistic, if the soil
was cool it could have taken 2-3 weeks to germinate. Of course it would
help to know what they are.

David

Old 29-06-2010, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:07:21 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Perennials never do well the first year. Wait until next year. I planted
marigolds this year and they're growing slowly. But I know next year
they'll be huge.

Marigolds are anuals... they won't be back next year unless some
reseed. Many wildflower seeds in those packets are biennial, they
won't flower the first year. It's best to plant wildflowers directly
into the ground, they don't do well in pots.

Old 29-06-2010, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I was wondering that because here in SoCal they always come back. When I
was growing up here we had marigolds covering a backyard hill that bloomed
every year.

Many wildflower seeds in those packets are biennial, they
won't flower the first year. It's best to plant wildflowers directly
into the ground, they don't do well in pots.

And they never last for long. We have a lot of wildflowers blooming all
around town but they are gone in just a couple weeks.

Old 30-06-2010, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Bob wrote:

[...]

Your right, I missed everything after "why no flowers".
Old 30-06-2010, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Bob wrote:

[...]

Hmmm... Looks like a jungle... and no flowers?
Sounds like too much nitrogen in the soil. Did you add any fertilizer to
that "top of the line soil"?

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 30-06-2010, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/29/10 3:11 PM, in article ,
"Bob" wrote:

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Patience
--
Cheryl Isaak
Southern NH

Old 30-06-2010, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote:

Hi,

howdy,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

dimensions of the planter?

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

was this seed mix an annual mix, a perennial
mix, a biannual mix or some of all of the above
or what?

probably:

soil too rich and planted too thickly together.

and

for the biannuals and perennials it can
take a few seasons to get going.

and as others have mentioned, patience.

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

nah, at this point, just keep 'em watered
when they look to be getting too dry.
otherwise i'd let them be. i wouldn't
fertilize them either.

you might have troubles getting
anything through the winter, but
perhaps this was an annual mix
so it doesn't matter anyways...

for the general homeowner these mixes
can be dangerous (contain invasive
species). we have some weeds running
around here that came from one of
these mixes. very cute little blue flowers.
dies back long and scraggly, bugger to
pull and reseeds heavily.

also, never plant seeds or plants
that people give you without looking
into it further.

just general advice from someone who
spends way too much time trying to
recover from invasive species gone
amokness.

songbird

Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"SAVE THE LEAF LITTER"
Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
"SAVE THE LEAF LITTER"

you are very funny Billy,

but yes, if they are
annuals save the leaf litter
as it might contain seeds
for next year's plants.

songbird
Old 24-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Registered User

If the plants attending advantageous and they get affluence of sun I would say accord them more time. Six weeks from berry burying is appealing optimistic, if the soil was air-conditioned it could accept taken 2-3 weeks to germinate. Of advance it would help to apperceive what they are.
Hydroponics Fans