Old 30-06-2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bobo Bobo is offline

Default Garlic problem

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:01:41 +0000, Lintama
wrote:

Just dug up some of my garlic which was planted last autumn. I was
looking forward to some nice big bulbs. However, they are not so big.
Medium size I suppose but what has bothered me is that the cloves
haven't developed. What I have got are just large bulbs. I dug up some
as they have sprouted leaves and a flower stalk so I would assume they
are ready to harvest.

Can anybody tell me please why the cloves haven't developed?

Sounds like you might leave it in the ground longer. You want to
harvest when all the leaves are turning brown but there are still
maybe three that are mostly green. Each leaf represents a layer that
covers and protects the bulb. If you leave it too long the cloves are
not protected well and the bulbs store badly. Harvest too soon and
they haven't grown as much as they could.