Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Sharon Frey

Default Aponogeton

"Graham Ramsay" wrote in message ...
Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?
After flowering will it go into hibernation?

Hmmm, apon hibernation? What I know for sure is Apons whether allowed
to flower or not will go through a period of dormancy. I say let it
flower and "dead head" just like you would flowering marigolds,
gazania, coreopsis, zinna, etc in an earth garden. Plucking the
withered (dead heading) flower heads sends a message to the mother
plant to produce more flowers because enough seeds were not yet
produced for proliferation of the species. Yet, no matter what us
humans do Apons will growth spurt, flower, rest (dormancy) and do it
all again if we let them. At least that is what the Apons that call
my aquaria home do.

Hope I helped,

Sharon