Old 29-06-2010, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Silly question

On 2010-06-27 14:32:05 +0100, aquachimp
said:

On Jun 27, 11:29 am, Jim S wrote:
Why did shepherds need a purse?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Shepherds have reasons to purse their lips?

In case they dropped into a baaaaa.

The Mother of Dictionaries has this quotation, among others: 1657 W.
COLES Adam in Eden xxxv. 71 In English it is called Shepheards purse or
Scrip, from the likenesse the Seed hath with that kind of leatherne bag,
wherein Shepherds carry their Victualls into the field. But I slightly
suspect Bowdlerism, as I was always led to believe the resemblance
people fancied they saw was to the human scrotum --we country folks
still use "purse" for that useful piece of kit in all mammals.

I fear where this is going with the sheep connection g
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK