Old 27-06-2010, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Silly question

Why did shepherds need a purse?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 27-06-2010, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim S wrote:
Why did shepherds need a purse?

To avoid getting fleeced?

Old 27-06-2010, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 June, 10:29, Jim S wrote:
Why did shepherds need a purse?

To show off their honesty?
Old 27-06-2010, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 11:29*am, Jim S wrote:
Why did shepherds need a purse?
--
Jim S
* * * * Tyneside UK
* * *www.jimscott.co.uk

Shepherds have reasons to purse their lips?
Old 28-06-2010, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Jim S contains these words:

Why did shepherds need a purse?

To carry all the tools of their trade; plus their own sustenance.
Shepherding is far more complicated and physically demanding than
Miss Bopeep realised, which is why her career failed on day one.

Janet

Now now Janet. You're not allowed to say "Failed" Her success as a
shepherdess was deferred.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 29-06-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-06-27 14:32:05 +0100, aquachimp
said:

On Jun 27, 11:29 am, Jim S wrote:
Why did shepherds need a purse?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

Shepherds have reasons to purse their lips?

In case they dropped into a baaaaa.

The Mother of Dictionaries has this quotation, among others: 1657 W.
COLES Adam in Eden xxxv. 71 In English it is called Shepheards purse or
Scrip, from the likenesse the Seed hath with that kind of leatherne bag,
wherein Shepherds carry their Victualls into the field. But I slightly
suspect Bowdlerism, as I was always led to believe the resemblance
people fancied they saw was to the human scrotum --we country folks
still use "purse" for that useful piece of kit in all mammals.

--
Mike.

Old 29-06-2010, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-06-27 14:32:05 +0100, aquachimp
said:

On Jun 27, 11:29 am, Jim S wrote:
Why did shepherds need a purse?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

Shepherds have reasons to purse their lips?

In case they dropped into a baaaaa.

The Mother of Dictionaries has this quotation, among others: 1657 W.
COLES Adam in Eden xxxv. 71 In English it is called Shepheards purse or
Scrip, from the likenesse the Seed hath with that kind of leatherne bag,
wherein Shepherds carry their Victualls into the field. But I slightly
suspect Bowdlerism, as I was always led to believe the resemblance
people fancied they saw was to the human scrotum --we country folks
still use "purse" for that useful piece of kit in all mammals.

I fear where this is going with the sheep connection g
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jim S
writes
I fear where this is going with the sheep connection g
--
Jim S

Gives a whole new meaning to

"he set off in hot purseuit of the sheep "
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph