Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Why No Flowers ?

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Bob wrote:

Hi,

howdy,

Live outside of Boston.

About a month and a half ago I bought a package of "wildflower" seeds.
A very good, well known, brand, but I don't remember which.
Also, some top of the line potting soil.

Planted them in one of those long rectangular planters, with the
drain holes in the bottom.

dimensions of the planter?

Well watered, and outside in plenty of sun. No flowers !

So, any opinions on why no flowers ?

was this seed mix an annual mix, a perennial
mix, a biannual mix or some of all of the above
or what?

probably:

soil too rich and planted too thickly together.

and

for the biannuals and perennials it can
take a few seasons to get going.

and as others have mentioned, patience.

Plenty of green stalks; looks like a jungle.

Could it be we used too many seeds ?
Should it be thinned out, or are other possibilities more likely ?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

nah, at this point, just keep 'em watered
when they look to be getting too dry.
otherwise i'd let them be. i wouldn't
fertilize them either.

you might have troubles getting
anything through the winter, but
perhaps this was an annual mix
so it doesn't matter anyways...

for the general homeowner these mixes
can be dangerous (contain invasive
species). we have some weeds running
around here that came from one of
these mixes. very cute little blue flowers.
dies back long and scraggly, bugger to
pull and reseeds heavily.

also, never plant seeds or plants
that people give you without looking