Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Timkatt

Default Battling Algae - Need help identifying

I had a similar problem with algae. I believe mine was caused by high
levels of PO4. I used Seachem's Phosguard to lower the PO4 and it has
brought the algae down to levels where my cleaning crew can keep it under
control. I don't know what the recommended dosage is for LeafZone but I
rarely add any fertilizer to my tank. I have a 28 US gal. tank and I add
15ml of hagen's plant gro every two or three weeks, I also have plain
gravel. I was thinking of adding a DIY CO2 injection system but my plants
are growing like wild fire so I haven't yet. If you PO4 is high I would try
to get that lowered down (mine went from over 3ppm to .3ppm in four days
with the Phosguard treatment but YMMV). Don't know about the spots on the
Java fern though, mine had something that looked similar but no where near
as bad. Hope this helps a little.

Timkatt

"RifRaf" wrote in message
I've read the Krib page but still am NOT sure of exactly what *type* I
have....

Hear are some shots of what I'm looking at:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...biasFlower.jpg
This is on the (flower?) of my Anubias Nana

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...nubiasLeaf.jpg
This is on a leaf (there's more on the other leaves too) on the same
Anubias

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...ae/OnWalls.jpg
And this is what I'm going crazy with on the walls on the little 5
gallon tank.

On a side note while I'm in this group, what are these????
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...ts/Cabomba.jpg
The Cabomba putting out more roots????

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...s/JavaFern.jpg
This is a shot of the JavaFern before I changed out the substrate.
The plant was pretty bad looking when I bought it but is really
looking MUCHO better. Out of curiosity tho, what are those brown
spots/holes due to?

Setup:

5 Gallon
DIY CO2 (20-25ppm)
13W CF 12-14 hrs/day
3 Ottos, 1 Cory doing the cleaning
Amm, Nitrite are 0'd out, Nitrates appear to be below 5ppm
AQ 200 powerhead
10% water changes 2 times/week
Using AP Leaf Zone as directed on the bottle
No other nutrients used for plants.

About to buy a PO4 and Fe test kit. Levels are unknown.

Been reading that SAE's have a different meal plan than the
Ottos..didn't know that before...tank is kinda small too. Any
thoughts on adding an SAE??

Thought of adding something like an Apple snail but after finding some
good reading on snails, it gave me the impression that the snails
would DESTROY my plants. True? Would snails eat any of this algae?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Chris

-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----