Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default Water Lillies

2) What plants do you recommend for the Veggie filter

Plants that grow fast and have good root systems. I have lots of
hyacinth, water celery and parrots feather. If they are legal in your
state, I would be glad to send you some for the cost of postage.
Others did that for me.

3) How many plants do you suggest and also how long before I begin to
see signifcant results?

Let them cover the veggie filter. If you do hyacinth, you can pull
them out all summer as they grow. Each plant pulled is nutrients not
giving you more algae.

Time is .dependent on the pond, nutrient levels and plants. Our
hyacinths have been wonderful at keeping the pond clear. In the
summer, they will cover a 4 x 8 filter in a matter of weeks.

Jim