Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Lintama Lintama is offline
Registered User

Thanks to both people who responded.

I don't think that I did anything wrong according to your suggestions.
The garlic was planted last Sept or Oct. Perhaps they were planted too deeply. I pushed them in to about 2 inches below the surface. Water hasn't been a problem. I dug some up to see how they were. Also the flower stalks were coming up so I cut those off. A lot of the leaves are now brownish but I don't think that any of the bulbs are divided into cloves. I used ordinary garlic bulbs bought from a supermarket as I have done before. The soil is rich in nutrients due to lots of compost dug in before planting and there are no weeds whatsoever. Looks like it is depth of planting that could be the answer. I seem to remember some years ago planting garlic cloves with the tip showing just above ground and the garlic was successful that time but it was in a different garden with different soil. I think I will try this shallow planting method next time.

Thanks again.