Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
NOYB

Default Lighting and Filtering for a planted 265

My wife and I are in the process of building a new house, complete with a
265 gallon aquarium built into the family room wall. It will be accessed
from a room behind it.
My question deals with lighting and filtration. We want to do a planted
discus tank. The tank comes pre-plumbed and reef ready for a wet/dry
filter, so that would obviously by my preference. But I am concerned about
the biological filtration of the wet/dry robbing nutrients from the plants.
Anyone have thoughts on this, or a better suggestion?
The next question deals with lighting. Let me give some dimensions so
everyone understands what we are dealing with: The tank, which is glass,
measures 7 feet long, and 2 feet front-to-back. Here's the kicker: it's 32
inches deep! Obviously this will take some serious lighting to reach the
bottom of the tank with any measure of intensity. How should I light it?
I'm open to all thoughts; Compact fluorescents, MHs, VHO, standard
fluorescents, etc. Keeping in mind these factors: long term cost of use,
replacement bulb cost and frequency, heat, and plant health.
Up front cost is not really an issue in this case. A tip for any fish geek
that builds a house: If you build your tank in, as part of the house, all
of the upfront costs of the tank, including the accessories can be included
in your home loan, since it's a permanent part of the house...a very small
addition to the payments, for years of enjoyment.
Thanks for the help.
Scott