Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
NOYB

Default Lighting and Filtering for a planted 265

Thanks. Do you think just MH, or a combination with something else? How
many MH lights do you think I would need...3...4? What size? Thanks for
the help...It's been very difficult to find answers for this size tank.
"Vallo Kallaste" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

The next question deals with lighting. Let me give some dimensions so
everyone understands what we are dealing with: The tank, which is

glass,
measures 7 feet long, and 2 feet front-to-back. Here's the kicker:

it's 32
inches deep! Obviously this will take some serious lighting to reach

the
bottom of the tank with any measure of intensity. How should I light

it?
I'm open to all thoughts; Compact fluorescents, MHs, VHO, standard
fluorescents, etc. Keeping in mind these factors: long term cost of

use,
replacement bulb cost and frequency, heat, and plant health.

MH's with good reflectors will do the trick, look no further.
Several years ago the MH's weren't cost effective, the lumen/watt
ratio was bad compared to luminaires, not to mention initial cost.
Today they're usually at 95lm/W and initial cost.. yea, you said it
:-)
--

Vallo Kallaste