Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Gibson Gibson is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoddie View Post
Second try

I hope that this picture is easier to identify.

Sorry that the picture is sideways.

This plant appears to have two parts;
1) Umbrella
2) Brown & white pitcher?

The plant is approximately 1 meter tall with the pitcher being slightly shorter, not all umbrella's appear to have a pitcher.

I hope that this gives enough information.

Many thanks
Hi Snoddie,

This is actually not Sauromatum venenosum, but is another type of Aroid, namely Arisaema concinnum (AKA Cobra Lily) - it's a highly desirable, and extremely fashionable hardy plant native to the Himalayas that grows from an underground tuber.

The "Umbrella" is the stem and single heavily divided leaf, while the "pitcher" is a spathe (much like most other members of the Arum family) which contains the tiny flowers deep within.