Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered User

Default ID Plant Please

Second try

I hope that this picture is easier to identify.

Sorry that the picture is sideways.

This plant appears to have two parts;
1) Umbrella
2) Brown & white pitcher?

The plant is approximately 1 meter tall with the pitcher being slightly shorter, not all umbrella's appear to have a pitcher.

I hope that this gives enough information.

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
ID Plant Please-201007051748_005.jpg
Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoddie View Post
Second try

I hope that this picture is easier to identify.

Sorry that the picture is sideways.

This plant appears to have two parts;
1) Umbrella
2) Brown & white pitcher?

The plant is approximately 1 meter tall with the pitcher being slightly shorter, not all umbrella's appear to have a pitcher.

I hope that this gives enough information.

Many thanks
My guess is that it will prove to be Sauromatum venenosum, or some similar aroid (the family which includes the native cuckoopint). The "pitcher" will open up to display a long spathe. This type of plant is commonly known as a voodoo lily, though that covers several possibilities.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered User

Hi echinosum,

Many thanks for your knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoddie View Post
Second try

I hope that this picture is easier to identify.

Sorry that the picture is sideways.

This plant appears to have two parts;
1) Umbrella
2) Brown & white pitcher?

The plant is approximately 1 meter tall with the pitcher being slightly shorter, not all umbrella's appear to have a pitcher.

I hope that this gives enough information.

Many thanks
Hi Snoddie,

This is actually not Sauromatum venenosum, but is another type of Aroid, namely Arisaema concinnum (AKA Cobra Lily) - it's a highly desirable, and extremely fashionable hardy plant native to the Himalayas that grows from an underground tuber.

The "Umbrella" is the stem and single heavily divided leaf, while the "pitcher" is a spathe (much like most other members of the Arum family) which contains the tiny flowers deep within.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Snoddie" wrote

Second try

I hope that this picture is easier to identify.

Sorry that the picture is sideways.

This plant appears to have two parts;
1) Umbrella
2) Brown & white pitcher?

The plant is approximately 1 meter tall with the pitcher being slightly
shorter, not all umbrella's appear to have a pitcher.

I hope that this gives enough information.

Many thanks

I answered this question the first time you asked it, why ask it again?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden