Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment insurance

On 06/07/2010 20:32, Peter James wrote:
Edex@directory wrote:

On 05/07/10 11:17, Peter James wrote:
Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

Peter

What are you trying to insure? Against accidents to third party?
Against theft? Against drought?

I did think about insuring the shed I have erected up on the allotment.
Along with the tools and wheelbarrow it all cost me about £250. I
thought it might be worth insuring it against any vandalism or damage.

The thing with insurance is that the insurance companies exist to make a
profit. So the odds are that in the long term they take more off you in
premiums than they pay out in claims. In my opinion insurance is only
worth while having if you are unable to afford to pay for the loss your
self. In cases of house insurance and third party insurance these are a
good idea because very few people can afford to payout many thousands of
pounds. However for such a relatively small sum of £250 is it really
worth it? Same as product insurance which some stores try to push with
white goods etc - generally you pay more in insurance than you are ever
likely to claim on the policy. The best bet if in doubt is to put a few
quid away in a savings account each month towards the loss of such
items. Cheaper than insurance. Just my opinion anyway, for what it is worth.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.