Old 05-07-2010, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment insurance

Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jl5lyq.10csnqsgp4rzwN%pfjames2000@googlemail .com...
Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

We get our insurance through membership of the allotment society.

I would think this would be the way to go for most allotments - spread the
load.
This also gives 3rd party insurance including against the stupid kind of
claim where someone injures themself tryng to break into your shed.

If you don't have an allotment society then it might be an idea to form one.

NFU springs to mind as a possible insurer.

HTH

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 05/07/10 11:17, Peter James wrote:
Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

Peter

What are you trying to insure? Against accidents to third party?
Against theft? Against drought?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" wrote
Peter James wrote:
Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

What are you trying to insure? Against accidents to third party? Against
theft? Against drought?

I've never had our allotment insured, not even considered it, what would you
insure? I do know "self-managed" sites have to have Public Liability but
that's all.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 05/07/10 11:17, Peter James wrote:
Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

Peter

What are you trying to insure? Against accidents to third party?
Against theft? Against drought?

I did think about insuring the shed I have erected up on the allotment.
Along with the tools and wheelbarrow it all cost me about £250. I
thought it might be worth insuring it against any vandalism or damage.

Peter

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2010 20:32, Peter James wrote:
Edex@directory wrote:

On 05/07/10 11:17, Peter James wrote:
Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

Peter

What are you trying to insure? Against accidents to third party?
Against theft? Against drought?

I did think about insuring the shed I have erected up on the allotment.
Along with the tools and wheelbarrow it all cost me about £250. I
thought it might be worth insuring it against any vandalism or damage.

The thing with insurance is that the insurance companies exist to make a
profit. So the odds are that in the long term they take more off you in
premiums than they pay out in claims. In my opinion insurance is only
worth while having if you are unable to afford to pay for the loss your
self. In cases of house insurance and third party insurance these are a
good idea because very few people can afford to payout many thousands of
pounds. However for such a relatively small sum of £250 is it really
worth it? Same as product insurance which some stores try to push with
white goods etc - generally you pay more in insurance than you are ever
likely to claim on the policy. The best bet if in doubt is to put a few
quid away in a savings account each month towards the loss of such
items. Cheaper than insurance. Just my opinion anyway, for what it is worth.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote
Ed wrote:

Peter James wrote:
Can anyone advise me on allotment insurance. I checked with the House
Insurer and we're not covered for the allotment which is 1 mile away.
Anyone with any leads to an Insurance Company who covers allotments?

What are you trying to insure? Against accidents to third party?
Against theft? Against drought?

I did think about insuring the shed I have erected up on the allotment.
Along with the tools and wheelbarrow it all cost me about £250. I
thought it might be worth insuring it against any vandalism or damage.

You've erected a thief magnet (a shed) and now you want to insure it? We
only had one small shed on our site and never any problems, then there was
an influx of new gardeners and they almost all erected sheds, guess what,
every one got broken into one night, rabbit fences broken down etc.
Sheds on allotments should be banned, get a towing eye and a small trailer
for your tools, you need it for manure anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

OT House insurance Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 6 12-03-2004 03:43 PM
I am looking for Tree Felling Insurance ?? United Kingdom 2 19-09-2003 06:22 PM
Horticultural Show insurance? Jim W United Kingdom 6 07-08-2003 09:23 PM
insurance hendo2002 United Kingdom 11 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Pond safety, insurance liability GARY BEEZ Ponds 9 27-04-2003 02:44 AM