Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Please help identify this plant, known as Callaloo in Jamaica

Looks like wild amaranth or where I come from red root pigweed. The leaves
are used like spinach spring and summer, the grain is collected in the fall.
Pull a seedling and see if the root isn't red. I teach an edible plants
course and that is a common weed in my garden now.
Steve
"mleblanca" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 12:49 pm, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my
garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for
Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

I think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They brought
the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances are that
this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was
edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.
Please help identify this.

Most of the time, yes, callaloo is taro. However it seems that other
plants are used
to make the dish called callaloo. Such as amaranth, spinach, and
even pokeweed.
If you'll google Callaloo plants, you will find much info. and even
recipes.
I found Wikipedia interesting and www.getjamaica.com has an extensive
article.
(pictures too)