Old 08-07-2010, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Please help identify this plant, known as Callaloo in Jamaica

My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my
garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for
Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

I think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They brought
the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances are that
this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was
edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.
Please help identify this.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my
garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for
Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

I think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They brought
the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances are that
this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was
edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.
Please help identify this.

Asshole did you not post this before?????????

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:22:09 -0400, Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my
garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used
for Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

I think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They
brought the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances
are that this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that
pokeweed was edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know
what it is. Please help identify this.

Asshole did you not post this before?????????

No I posted the pokeweed picture, this is a different plant.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was
edible

But it is.
With qualifications, of course.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:35:32 -0500, balvenieman wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

All I saw is that same pokeweed.

However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was edible so I'm
not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.

Did they say it was _good_?

Yes, they love it.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:54:11 -0500, balvenieman wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Yes, they love it.

That can only be because the ganja has destroyed their senses! At
the url you gave, I still see only the pokeweed photo. What's up?

I put up a second picture of it, the album is called Callaloo and it
should be public. The background is the same as the pokeweed because it's
in the same garden (I've pulled out most of the pokeweed). The leafshape
is different, the Callaloo has a crinkly leaf, the pokeweed has a smooth
leaf.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuar...eat=directlink
Old 09-07-2010, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 8, 12:49*pm, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my
garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for
Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

I think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They brought
the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances are that
this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was
edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.
Please help identify this.

Most of the time, yes, callaloo is taro. However it seems that other
plants are used
to make the dish called callaloo. Such as amaranth, spinach, and
even pokeweed.
If you'll google Callaloo plants, you will find much info. and even
recipes.
I found Wikipedia interesting and www.getjamaica.com has an extensive
article.
(pictures too)

Emilie
NorCal
Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Looks like wild amaranth or where I come from red root pigweed. The leaves
are used like spinach spring and summer, the grain is collected in the fall.
Pull a seedling and see if the root isn't red. I teach an edible plants
course and that is a common weed in my garden now.
Steve

Old 09-07-2010, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph said:

My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my
garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for
Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

I think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They brought
the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances are that
this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was
edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.
Please help identify this.

I agree with Steve Peek; this looks like some species of Amaranthus (and
not the Xanthosoma sp. also grown as Jamaican callaloo). Identifying to
particular species is probably something that requires a plant in bloom and
more expertise than I have.

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/seeds/amaran.htm
http://www.pbase.com/image/109098975

And the Wiki link for Amaranth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranth

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"mleblanca" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, I think your guess about red root pigweed is probably correct.
One of the Jamaicans did mention pigweed.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:35:32 -0500, balvenieman wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

All I saw is that same pokeweed.
However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was edible so I'm
not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.

Did they say it was _good_?

Yes, they love it.

I've spent some time in Jamaica building a large sound system. We had a
cook and a houseboy.

I ate a lot of a callaloo. I started off not liking it and after a month
I despised it. Just the mention brings back bad memories. And that
wasn't for lack of ganja.

Go to a Jamaican store and try it.

Jeff