Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default A nice Iris for a difficult spot.

Charlie wrote:

That looks very handsome, I have always liked the leaf but as you say the
flowers are a bit brief and unexciting, one to look out for because if
its anything like the wild one it will grow anywhere!

It is, the flowers are larger than the type species, last longer and
produced in larger numbers on the inflorescence. It has proved
extremely versatile and grows well in relatively inhospitable spots.
It more vigorous growing up to 90cms. high, which makes for a more
imposing, leafy plant with longer leaves than I. foetidissima proper.
Comes true to type from seed as well.