Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default A nice Iris for a difficult spot.

I spent a very pleasant, long weekend visiting my family in the
Midlands. Despite having no pretences about being 'exotic' I always
find something interesting in my mother's garden and this year my
attention was caught by a very pleasant form of our native 'stinking
gladwyn' - Iris foetidissima.

The normal type has ditch-water dull, greyed purplish-blue flowers and
its main redeeming factors are evergreen foliage and seed pods that
split to reveal masses of vivid orange berry-like seeds. It grows
well in sun or heavy shade and can tolerate dry clay or sand once
established. But the short lived flowers are far too dour for my
tastes. Nice enough in the countryside, but not for my garden.

Not so Iris foetidissima 'Citrina'. This yellow form is growing away
lustily in corners and out-of-the-way spots in mother's garden. It is
freer flowering than the 'wild' type and produces striking creamy
yellow flowers, veined reddish brown on the falls and deeper, almost
mustard coloured standards. It has the bright orange seeds and the
evergreen foliage of its duller relative, and is a much better 'all-
rounder' than the species proper.

I've brought some pieces back with me since I've got a few spots that
are too dry and dull to enable many plants to grow well.

I'm trying out a different pic-sharer so hopefully here's a valid link
to a pic of this Iris:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/...ec6acba6_m.jpg
Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 5abf7535-4543-48b1-ad8b-
, says...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/...ec6acba6_m.jpg

That looks very handsome, I have always liked the leaf but as you say the
flowers are a bit brief and unexciting, one to look out for because if
its anything like the wild one it will grow anywhere!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Charlie wrote:

That looks very handsome, I have always liked the leaf but as you say the
flowers are a bit brief and unexciting, one to look out for because if
its anything like the wild one it will grow anywhere!

It is, the flowers are larger than the type species, last longer and
produced in larger numbers on the inflorescence. It has proved
extremely versatile and grows well in relatively inhospitable spots.
It more vigorous growing up to 90cms. high, which makes for a more
imposing, leafy plant with longer leaves than I. foetidissima proper.
Comes true to type from seed as well.