Old 13-07-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default chilies

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Arkadiusz Dymek wrote:

W dniu 7/12/2010 8:06 PM, Graham wrote:
I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here
[Holland] so I am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I
got about 20 buds, I thought bingo chilies. But now they are
turning into flowers.
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/habanero.html
When will I get chilies?

Well, you're on the right path: to have chillies you need the flowers
first - and then they need to be pollinated, which can be the tricky
part if they're inside. You can let insects do the job or you can do
it by yourself. Here's a nice guide to chilli gardening:
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/chilipepper.htm

Best regards,
Arkadesh

Really, not much to worry about. Peppers are self-pollinating. You can
help things out a bit by brushing the flowers gently with your hand,
as is often recommended for tomatoes, or give the flowers a gentle
flick of the finger, to get the pollen from the anthers to the stamen.

Billy is right. It is more important that you keep them warm in sun and
don't let them wilt.

David