Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default chilies

I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here [Holland] so I
am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I got about 20 buds, I
thought bingo chilies. But now they are turning into flowers.
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/habanero.html
When will I get chilies?
Graham
Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Graham" wrote:

I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here [Holland] so I
am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I got about 20 buds, I
thought bingo chilies. But now they are turning into flowers.
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/habanero.html
When will I get chilies?
Graham

http://tinyurl.com/396rlxx

Temperature night and day seen in above search seems to matter.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Graham" wrote:

I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here [Holland] so I
am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I got about 20 buds, I
thought bingo chilies. But now they are turning into flowers.
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/habanero.html
When will I get chilies?
Graham

Always flowers first, then fruit. These are inside, right? How many
hours of direct sun do the plants get? The more sun, the sooner they
will ripen peppers. Paint pots black to warm the soil. Soil temp needs
to be 21 - 30°C. If worse comes to worse, you may need to get a grow
light. Typically, in my garden in northern California, habaneros take 4
months.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

W dniu 7/12/2010 8:06 PM, Graham wrote:
I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here [Holland] so
I am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I got about 20 buds,
I thought bingo chilies. But now they are turning into flowers.
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/habanero.html
When will I get chilies?

Well, you're on the right path: to have chillies you need the flowers
first - and then they need to be pollinated, which can be the tricky
part if they're inside. You can let insects do the job or you can do it
by yourself. Here's a nice guide to chilli gardening:
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/chilipepper.htm

Best regards,
Arkadesh
Old 13-07-2010, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Arkadiusz Dymek wrote:

W dniu 7/12/2010 8:06 PM, Graham wrote:
I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here [Holland] so
I am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I got about 20 buds,
I thought bingo chilies. But now they are turning into flowers.
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/habanero.html
When will I get chilies?

Well, you're on the right path: to have chillies you need the flowers
first - and then they need to be pollinated, which can be the tricky
part if they're inside. You can let insects do the job or you can do it
by yourself. Here's a nice guide to chilli gardening:
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/chilipepper.htm

Best regards,
Arkadesh

Really, not much to worry about. Peppers are self-pollinating. You can
help things out a bit by brushing the flowers gently with your hand, as
is often recommended for tomatoes, or give the flowers a gentle flick of
the finger, to get the pollen from the anthers to the stamen.

Old 13-07-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Arkadiusz Dymek wrote:

[...]

Billy is right. It is more important that you keep them warm in sun and
don't let them wilt.

David

Old 13-07-2010, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Arkadiusz Dymek wrote:

[...]

That's what my DW always says ;O)
Old 13-07-2010, 10:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article ,
Arkadiusz Dymek wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much, Billy and everybody else, better go out and buy a brush.
Graham
www.hutson.nl

Old 14-07-2010, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Graham wrote:
Billy schreef in bericht:

Really, not much to worry about. Peppers are self-pollinating. You
can help things out a bit by brushing the flowers gently with your
hand, as is often recommended for tomatoes, or give the flowers a
gentle flick of the finger, to get the pollen from the anthers to
the stamen. --
- Billy

Thanks very much, Billy and everybody else, better go out and buy a
brush. Graham

no need for that even with these
flowers, just ding them with your
finger a little.

songbird

Sweet chilies George Shirley[_3_] Edible Gardening 8 11-12-2015 03:00 PM
chilies again Graham Edible Gardening 11 24-08-2010 07:05 PM
Thai Dragon Chilies oldhickory Texas 4 20-04-2007 05:31 AM