Old 13-07-2010, 09:07 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
It's a Carya. I'd guess at pignut (Carya glabra), but there is a bitternut (Carya cordiformis) among the other species.
The hickories (Carya), which include the Pecan, are remarkably similar to the walnuts. But here I think you are being too clever. The hickories most likely to be seen here have a much more pointed end to the leaf than that, it changes curvature at the tip. So I think it's a walnut, which in general is a much more likely find in this country.

The fruit is bitter because it isn't ripe, ready when gone hard like a nut!