Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID Please

http://tinypic.com/m/b3nz2t/4

Can anyone Id this tree please?
The fruits tasted really bitter!!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JonC
writes

http://tinypic.com/m/b3nz2t/4

Can anyone Id this tree please?
The fruits tasted really bitter!!

It's a Carya. I'd guess at pignut (Carya glabra), but there is a
bitternut (Carya cordiformis) among the other species.

You shouldn't really be tasting the fruits if you don't know what it is.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-07-2010, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , JonC
writes

http://tinypic.com/m/b3nz2t/4

Can anyone Id this tree please?
The fruits tasted really bitter!!

It's a Carya. I'd guess at pignut (Carya glabra), but there is a
bitternut (Carya cordiformis) among the other species.

Why not a walnut (Juglans regia)? What have I missed?

You shouldn't really be tasting the fruits if you don't know what it is.

No, tasting is OK. There are no temperate plants that I know of
that are so poisonous that merely tasting them is dangerous.
The worst that I can think of are the Toxicondendron species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-07-2010, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Why not a walnut (Juglans regia)? What have I missed?

I'd have said walnut to. The outer green casing of the nut is incredibly
bitter & stains skin brown too.

Old 13-07-2010, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On 13 July, 06:01, "Les Hemmings" wrote:
wrote:

Why not a walnut (Juglans regia)? *What have I missed?

I'd have said walnut to. The outer green casing of the nut is incredibly
bitter & stains skin brown too.

It is a walnut! The bitter taste and staining is due to the high
levels of tannins and acids present in the outer casing. Provided the
shell of the nut hasn't already started to form, those look just ready
for pickling.

Old 13-07-2010, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Poole wrote:
On 13 July, 06:01, "Les Hemmings" wrote:

Why not a walnut (Juglans regia)? =A0What have I missed?

I'd have said walnut to. The outer green casing of the nut is incredibly
bitter & stains skin brown too.

It is a walnut! The bitter taste and staining is due to the high
levels of tannins and acids present in the outer casing. Provided the
shell of the nut hasn't already started to form, those look just ready
for pickling.

They have by now - it's too late for this year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
It's a Carya. I'd guess at pignut (Carya glabra), but there is a bitternut (Carya cordiformis) among the other species.
The hickories (Carya), which include the Pecan, are remarkably similar to the walnuts. But here I think you are being too clever. The hickories most likely to be seen here have a much more pointed end to the leaf than that, it changes curvature at the tip. So I think it's a walnut, which in general is a much more likely find in this country.

The fruit is bitter because it isn't ripe, ready when gone hard like a nut!
Old 13-07-2010, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , JonC
writes

http://tinypic.com/m/b3nz2t/4

Can anyone Id this tree please?
The fruits tasted really bitter!!

It's a Carya. I'd guess at pignut (Carya glabra), but there is a
bitternut (Carya cordiformis) among the other species.

Why not a walnut (Juglans regia)? What have I missed?

Possibly my lack of familiarity with walnuts.

But I saw the fruits as ovoid, whilst a walnut has, I believe, a
spherical fruit.

Old 13-07-2010, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

http://tinypic.com/m/b3nz2t/4

Can anyone Id this tree please?
The fruits tasted really bitter!!

It's a Carya. I'd guess at pignut (Carya glabra), but there is a
bitternut (Carya cordiformis) among the other species.

Why not a walnut (Juglans regia)? What have I missed?

Possibly my lack of familiarity with walnuts.

But I saw the fruits as ovoid, whilst a walnut has, I believe, a
spherical fruit.

The shape is normal for walnuts, because they start off pecan-shaped
and grow rounder as they mature.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.