Old 16-07-2010, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bobo Bobo is offline

Default Bulbing onion question (in need of advice) (Bobo)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:54:34 -0400, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

There is no way I could mulch under them as it's just one big mass of
tops laid over. Now, do I just wait for the tops to turn brown before
I dig them? I planted the sets on April 15.

Rich from PA

Yes, you want to pull them before the tops deteriorate much. If it's
real rainy do it sooner. If it's dry and you leave them in late..not
much harm done. I jplant Copra from seed and do real well. You might
try it next year. Prepare the ground in the fall and plant very early
in spring. If your soil is heavy cover the seed with compost or sand
so there's no crust to break thru.