Old 16-07-2010, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default New Trees

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:30:18 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 7/15/2010 4:10 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Tomorrow morning the crew will be here to plant my five new trees;
One Fat Albert Colorado blue spruce, about 6'
One Colorado blue spruce, about 10'
One sugar maple "Legacy", 4" caliper, about 14'
One elm "Accolade", 5" caliper, about 14'
One double flowering horse chestnut "Baumanii", 5' caliper, about 12'

This is a combination of my last Christmas and birthday gift, I've
waited patiently and am looking forward to the event. I will have
pictures.

Planting tree's in the 90's ? Why not Sept 30?

Cheaper this time of year.

Planting price remains the same regardless the time of year... they
charge 75% the selling price for planting, 50% the selling price for
purchases totalling over $1,000. I bought the Chestnut to reach the
$1,000... total with planting is $1,750.01. All the nurseries around
here charge the same rates for planting. When they plant they
guarantee the plants for one year... I've purchased many trees from
this nursery, all are doing very well... there is no way I could
possibly plant trees this size myself, I have no way to bring them
home or move them... their root balls weigh well over 500 pounds each.

As long as they are kept well watered, they should survive.

I intend to water them. Plus the soil here is very rich bottom land,
very moist and fertile... they'd probably do well even if I don't
water but it's easy for me to hitch a cart to my tractor and haul
large containers of water. Actually it's more important for me to
locate trees here in areas where they won't be too wet. The weather
forcast here says thunder storms for tomorrow afternoon and more all
the next day, so tomorrow morning is a good time for planting. And
I'm glad it's been hot and dry lately, the ground wont get rutted from
the planting machinery... I wouldn't let them bring their heavy
equipment onto my property in fall when it's wet... of course they
know not to consider fall (or spring) planting of large trees around
here.