Old 15-07-2010, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default New Trees

Tomorrow morning the crew will be here to plant my five new trees;
One Fat Albert Colorado blue spruce, about 6'
One Colorado blue spruce, about 10'
One sugar maple "Legacy", 4" caliper, about 14'
One elm "Accolade", 5" caliper, about 14'
One double flowering horse chestnut "Baumanii", 5' caliper, about 12'

This is a combination of my last Christmas and birthday gift, I've
waited patiently and am looking forward to the event. I will have
pictures.

Old 15-07-2010, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

Tomorrow morning the crew will be here to plant my five new trees;
One Fat Albert Colorado blue spruce, about 6'
One Colorado blue spruce, about 10'
One sugar maple "Legacy", 4" caliper, about 14'
One elm "Accolade", 5" caliper, about 14'
One double flowering horse chestnut "Baumanii", 5' caliper, about 12'

This is a combination of my last Christmas and birthday gift, I've
waited patiently and am looking forward to the event. I will have
pictures.

Planting tree's in the 90's ? Why not Sept 30?

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 15-07-2010, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/15/2010 4:10 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Tomorrow morning the crew will be here to plant my five new trees;
One Fat Albert Colorado blue spruce, about 6'
One Colorado blue spruce, about 10'
One sugar maple "Legacy", 4" caliper, about 14'
One elm "Accolade", 5" caliper, about 14'
One double flowering horse chestnut "Baumanii", 5' caliper, about 12'

This is a combination of my last Christmas and birthday gift, I've
waited patiently and am looking forward to the event. I will have
pictures.

Planting tree's in the 90's ? Why not Sept 30?

Cheaper this time of year. As long as they are kept well watered, they
should survive.
Old 15-07-2010, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:10:50 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

Tomorrow morning the crew will be here to plant my five new trees;
One Fat Albert Colorado blue spruce, about 6'
One Colorado blue spruce, about 10'
One sugar maple "Legacy", 4" caliper, about 14'
One elm "Accolade", 5" caliper, about 14'
One double flowering horse chestnut "Baumanii", 5' caliper, about 12'

This is a combination of my last Christmas and birthday gift, I've
waited patiently and am looking forward to the event. I will have
pictures.

Planting tree's in the 90's ? Why not Sept 30?

It can be just as hot here in September. I can water them, they'll be
well on their way by winter. They're fairly large trees with huge
root balls... they're already dug and out of the ground anyway... it's
better they go into the ground now then sit in the hot sun until
September. They're from a very large nursery, they know what they're
doing, I haven't lost any of their trees, in fact they're all doing
exceptionally well.

http://www.storysnursery.com/
Old 16-07-2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good luck with them all, bit especially the Elm. I'd be interested in
hearing more about that one. Is it one of the new American Elms?

Old 16-07-2010, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Good luck with them all, bit especially the Elm. I'd be interested in
hearing more about that one. Is it one of the new American Elms?

None of us will be around to see it matu
http://www.cirrusimage.com/tree_accolade_elm.htm

Thank you for your well wishes.

Old 16-07-2010, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Tomorrow morning the crew will be here to plant my five new trees;
One Fat Albert Colorado blue spruce, about 6'
One Colorado blue spruce, about 10'
One sugar maple "Legacy", 4" caliper, about 14'
One elm "Accolade", 5" caliper, about 14'
One double flowering horse chestnut "Baumanii", 5' caliper, about 12'

This is a combination of my last Christmas and birthday gift, I've
waited patiently and am looking forward to the event. I will have
pictures.

Planting tree's in the 90's ? Why not Sept 30?

Cheaper this time of year.

Planting price remains the same regardless the time of year... they
charge 75% the selling price for planting, 50% the selling price for
purchases totalling over $1,000. I bought the Chestnut to reach the
$1,000... total with planting is $1,750.01. All the nurseries around
here charge the same rates for planting. When they plant they
guarantee the plants for one year... I've purchased many trees from
this nursery, all are doing very well... there is no way I could
possibly plant trees this size myself, I have no way to bring them
home or move them... their root balls weigh well over 500 pounds each.

As long as they are kept well watered, they should survive.

I intend to water them. Plus the soil here is very rich bottom land,
very moist and fertile... they'd probably do well even if I don't
water but it's easy for me to hitch a cart to my tractor and haul
large containers of water. Actually it's more important for me to
locate trees here in areas where they won't be too wet. The weather
forcast here says thunder storms for tomorrow afternoon and more all
the next day, so tomorrow morning is a good time for planting. And
I'm glad it's been hot and dry lately, the ground wont get rutted from
the planting machinery... I wouldn't let them bring their heavy
equipment onto my property in fall when it's wet... of course they
know not to consider fall (or spring) planting of large trees around
here.

Old 16-07-2010, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:

Planting price remains the same regardless the time of year... they
charge 75% the selling price for planting, 50% the selling price for
purchases totalling over $1,000. I bought the Chestnut to reach the
$1,000... total with planting is $1,750.01.

For five large trees including planting? That's a good deal.

You can't get a 3 inch caliper tree, deciduous or evergreen, in the
Denver area for less than ~$400 (and most are more.) They charge 50%
for delivery and planting with a 1 year guarantee.

The garden club in our neighborhood has bought a Royal Red maple
in memory of one of its few charter members remaining who died recently
of cancer. It will be planted in our neighborhood park tomorrow.

http://search.schultesgreenhouse.com...os/A110-15.jpg

This isn't the greatest weather for planting, but since we go from
blazing heat to snow with not much between, there's not much choice.

gloria p
Old 16-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoledc109 View Post
Thanks you for the post.
Itz a very good idea of planting in sep

Old 16-07-2010, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:04:06 -0600, "gloria.p"
wrote:

brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

"Royal Red" is another name for "Crimson King" Norway maple (Acer
Platanoides). I have one about half the size of the one in your
picture. It was a sapling when I planted it seven years ago, a
replacement for the huge one I had removed because it was planted too
close to my house. I've no idea why the last owner planted it a mere
ten feet away. I hated to have it taken down but it was destroying
the roof and the deck, and if ever it came down in a storm it would
have taken the entire house and everyone in it. I see where a lot
of folks plant trees right next to their house when they are saplings
without a clue about how large they grow. Your "Royal Red" Norway
maple tree can easily reach 80' X 50', and with good conditions can
grow even larger. There were six other large Norway spruce planted
right up to the house, one in front of every window, I had them all
removed, couldn't even look out a window. And there is plenty of open
acerage here to plant large trees, go figure.

The day it was removed:
http://i28.tinypic.com/1tq3k0.jpg
Old 18-07-2010, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:07:37 -0400, brooklyn1

Good luck with them all, bit especially the Elm. I'd be interested in
hearing more about that one. Is it one of the new American Elms?

None of us will be around to see it matu
http://www.cirrusimage.com/tree_accolade_elm.htm

Thank you for your well wishes.

Luckily, I have a mature Chinese Elm in the yard. Such a graceful
tree.

Kate