Old 16-07-2010, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default New Trees

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:04:06 -0600, "gloria.p"
wrote:

brooklyn1 wrote:

Planting price remains the same regardless the time of year... they
charge 75% the selling price for planting, 50% the selling price for
purchases totalling over $1,000. I bought the Chestnut to reach the
$1,000... total with planting is $1,750.01.

For five large trees including planting? That's a good deal.

You can't get a 3 inch caliper tree, deciduous or evergreen, in the
Denver area for less than ~$400 (and most are more.) They charge 50%
for delivery and planting with a 1 year guarantee.

The garden club in our neighborhood has bought a Royal Red maple
in memory of one of its few charter members remaining who died recently
of cancer. It will be planted in our neighborhood park tomorrow.

http://search.schultesgreenhouse.com...os/A110-15.jpg

This isn't the greatest weather for planting, but since we go from
blazing heat to snow with not much between, there's not much choice.

gloria p

"Royal Red" is another name for "Crimson King" Norway maple (Acer
Platanoides). I have one about half the size of the one in your
picture. It was a sapling when I planted it seven years ago, a
replacement for the huge one I had removed because it was planted too
close to my house. I've no idea why the last owner planted it a mere
ten feet away. I hated to have it taken down but it was destroying
the roof and the deck, and if ever it came down in a storm it would
have taken the entire house and everyone in it. I see where a lot
of folks plant trees right next to their house when they are saplings
without a clue about how large they grow. Your "Royal Red" Norway
maple tree can easily reach 80' X 50', and with good conditions can
grow even larger. There were six other large Norway spruce planted
right up to the house, one in front of every window, I had them all
removed, couldn't even look out a window. And there is plenty of open
acerage here to plant large trees, go figure.

The day it was removed:
http://i28.tinypic.com/1tq3k0.jpg