Old 18-07-2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What can I plant this late in zone 4?

zxcvbob wrote:
Between the (former) rabbit that ate all my okra, 2 tomatoes, and a
nibbled my pepper plants last week, and the douchebag lawn service
that sprayed 2,4-d thru the chain link fence into my garden*, I have
a lot of bare ground right now. Is there anything I can plant this
late? Maybe zucchini or hybrid cucumbers? Bush green beans? Or
some kind of fall crop like kohlrabi?

I have never been to Minnesota so I am making this up as I go along.
Zucchini, cucumbers and beans all take about 2 months (sometimes more) to
first harvest. If first frost is not long after that you won't get much
production. Maybe try some brassicas or lettuce, chard, rocket and other
cutting greens that will produce quicker and/or survive a mild frost. As
long as you keep the water up to them and keep the cabbage moth away in the
warm weather brassicas will be OK.

David