Old 18-07-2010, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What can I plant this late in zone 4?

Between the (former) rabbit that ate all my okra, 2 tomatoes, and a
nibbled my pepper plants last week, and the douchebag lawn service that
sprayed 2,4-d thru the chain link fence into my garden*, I have a lot of
bare ground right now. Is there anything I can plant this late? Maybe
zucchini or hybrid cucumbers? Bush green beans? Or some kind of fall
crop like kohlrabi?

Bob, in S.E. Minnesota

*Not the same company that did this 2 years ago. This one (Diamond Lawn
Care, Inc) did a lot more damage. It couldn't have just been drift,
they'd have to active spray though the fence to reach as far as they
did. I reported them to the MN Dept of Agriculture for pesticide
misuse, and an agent came out the next day and took soil and vegetation
samples. Still waiting for the lab results.

Old 18-07-2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Between the (former) rabbit that ate all my okra, 2 tomatoes, and a
nibbled my pepper plants last week, and the douchebag lawn service
that sprayed 2,4-d thru the chain link fence into my garden*, I have
a lot of bare ground right now. Is there anything I can plant this
late? Maybe zucchini or hybrid cucumbers? Bush green beans? Or
some kind of fall crop like kohlrabi?

I have never been to Minnesota so I am making this up as I go along.
Zucchini, cucumbers and beans all take about 2 months (sometimes more) to
first harvest. If first frost is not long after that you won't get much
production. Maybe try some brassicas or lettuce, chard, rocket and other
cutting greens that will produce quicker and/or survive a mild frost. As
long as you keep the water up to them and keep the cabbage moth away in the
warm weather brassicas will be OK.

David

Old 18-07-2010, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Between the (former) rabbit that ate all my okra, 2 tomatoes, and a
nibbled my pepper plants last week, and the douchebag lawn service that
sprayed 2,4-d thru the chain link fence into my garden*, I have a lot of
bare ground right now. Is there anything I can plant this late? Maybe
zucchini or hybrid cucumbers? Bush green beans? Or some kind of fall
crop like kohlrabi?

Bob, in S.E. Minnesota

*Not the same company that did this 2 years ago. This one (Diamond Lawn
Care, Inc) did a lot more damage. It couldn't have just been drift,
they'd have to active spray though the fence to reach as far as they
did. I reported them to the MN Dept of Agriculture for pesticide
misuse, and an agent came out the next day and took soil and vegetation
samples. Still waiting for the lab results.

Inspired by the tread concerning beans. I plant about three weeks
apart . Some plants can't handle the heat beans can.

http://growingideas.johnnyseeds.com/...nting-guide.ht
ml

More on planting late below.

Late Planting Guide From Seed
From an Old Organic Magazine

Frost date is Oct 15 Last frost May 15

Your dates may differ due to your climate

July 4 100 days till Oct 15

Frost tender

85 days Snap Beans by July 25
97 days Corn by July 4
86 days Cucumbers by July 25
110 days Tomatoes by June 25
81 ays Squash by Aug 1

Survive Light Frost

90 days Cauliflower by July 25
84 days Chinese Cabbage by July 25
74 days Beets by Aug 15
113 days Endive by June 25
63 days Kohlrabi by Aug 30
76 days Loose Leaf Lettuce by Aug 1r
96 days Head Lettuce by July 4
70 days Peas by Aug 15

Survive Heavy Frost

99 days Cabbage by July 4
85 days Carrots by July 25
70 days Chard by Aug 15
90 days Collards by July 4
95 days Broccoli by July 4
120 days Brussels Sprouts by June 15
95 days Kale by July 4
42 days Radishes Summer by Sept 5
72 days Radishes Winter by Aug 15
64 days Spinach by Aug 25
51 days Turnips by Sept 15

-- People need to remember that these are average frost dates, for zone
5.
I'm also zone five.

Some years things will be done in around the average date, other years
it may go much later. Three years ago we were still harvesting
tomatoes aaround thanksgiving time. I had covered a few plants when
frost hit the end of october. No frost or freeze until around
thnksgiving.

Charlie

An' that's the way it is, movin' on.

Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden