Old 25-02-2003, 03:27 PM
SugarChile

Default Question trees downed by winter ice and snow

If you're a gambler, you could replant with aborvitae. This winter was an
unusual one here in PA, and it could be quite a while until those conditions
repeat. Then again, it could be next year......I have a variety of arbs
around my property, and they responded in different ways to the snow and
ice. A few of the older, generic, non-named variety types did sag some; I
keep them pruned and shaped, and was diligent about knocking off the snow,
and they came through more or less unscathed. I have some that are named
varieties, that grow naturally in a nice pyramidal shape, and they just
shrugged off the snow. I don't have the variety names at hand, but a good
nursery should have a selection of these newer types--ask about the growth
habits. They are likely to cost a few dollars more than the basic ones,
but IMO they are well worth it.

When I first planted a row of arborvitae for privacy along a fence, I spaced
them according to the expected mature size, then planted giant sunflowers in
between them for the first few summers, until they filled out a bit. It
worked well and looked great.

Good luck,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Lark84321" wrote in message
Hello all,
I just found this group. The winter has been hard on my trees. I had some
beautiful Arborvite ( 7) in front of my deck. They were 12 years old and

they
provided shade and a wind break, not to mention privacy. They were all at

least
15 feet tall. This winter we had a huge snowfall and it was heavy snow

mixed
with ice. This brought 5 trees to the ground. They were beyond salvation,

and
though it broke my heart we took them out ( the stumps will have to wait

until
spring ) .Now I am left with an empty bed in front of my deck and two

rather
weatherbeaten trees that are still alive.

Question:
What can I plant in the space that will grow quickly, stand up to weather

and
also provide shade and privacy? I live in Pennsylvania. Any ideas will be
appreciated.
Thanks! Jenny