Old 25-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Lark84321

Default Question trees downed by winter ice and snow

Hello all,
I just found this group. The winter has been hard on my trees. I had some
beautiful Arborvite ( 7) in front of my deck. They were 12 years old and they
provided shade and a wind break, not to mention privacy. They were all at least
15 feet tall. This winter we had a huge snowfall and it was heavy snow mixed
with ice. This brought 5 trees to the ground. They were beyond salvation, and
though it broke my heart we took them out ( the stumps will have to wait until
spring ) .Now I am left with an empty bed in front of my deck and two rather
weatherbeaten trees that are still alive.

Question:
What can I plant in the space that will grow quickly, stand up to weather and
also provide shade and privacy? I live in Pennsylvania. Any ideas will be
appreciated.
Thanks! Jenny

Old 25-02-2003, 03:27 PM
SugarChile

If you're a gambler, you could replant with aborvitae. This winter was an
unusual one here in PA, and it could be quite a while until those conditions
repeat. Then again, it could be next year......I have a variety of arbs
around my property, and they responded in different ways to the snow and
ice. A few of the older, generic, non-named variety types did sag some; I
keep them pruned and shaped, and was diligent about knocking off the snow,
and they came through more or less unscathed. I have some that are named
varieties, that grow naturally in a nice pyramidal shape, and they just
shrugged off the snow. I don't have the variety names at hand, but a good
nursery should have a selection of these newer types--ask about the growth
habits. They are likely to cost a few dollars more than the basic ones,
but IMO they are well worth it.

When I first planted a row of arborvitae for privacy along a fence, I spaced
them according to the expected mature size, then planted giant sunflowers in
between them for the first few summers, until they filled out a bit. It
worked well and looked great.

Good luck,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 26-02-2003, 06:03 AM
B & J

"SugarChile" wrote in message
link.net...
If you're a gambler, you could replant with aborvitae. snip

You don't have to be a gambler if you replant with arborvitae. Snow does
wreck havoc on arborvitae, but there is a solution when living in a high
snow area. Every fall before snow begins, tie plastic clothes line around
each. It keeps them from splitting apart. It should be removed in the
spring. It even works to pull arborvitae together that have unbroken
branches sagging from the previous winter's snow.

John

Old 26-02-2003, 06:51 AM

Cover the root with mulch, there is a good chance that the evergreens
may come back. Try. have you to lose at this stage? Work some
evergreen food into the ground in early spring. Those bushes have
rather large roots remaining . You may be pleased & surprised at what
may sprout out of the ground . I* m elderly now but can remember
always messing around with my parants evergreens, they are rather
amazing . Best luck. Kitty

Old 26-02-2003, 07:16 AM

John is right, tieing the branches with clothes line or something that
will not cut through the branches but offer support from the wind, snow
or ice is very helpful. I always did mine in the fall & released them in
the late spring, I live in Ohio sometimes we also have some damaging
winter weather . By again Kitty

Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
B & J

"Lark84321" wrote in message
Subject: Question trees downed by winter ice and snow

Hello John,
I did have the trees tied. They didn't break apart, but they just came out

by
the roots after heavy ice and high winds. I couldn't do anything with ice.

was knocking snow off all winter, but that ice was thick. I may plant

them
again and just hope for an easier winter.
I am in Zone 6 SE Pa. - Jenny

Sorry to hear that, Jenny. I was under the impression that the trees split
from the weight of the snow and ice, but often tying them tightly in the
fall greatly decreases surface area and thus the accumulation weight. That
must have been some ice storm!

John

Old 01-03-2003, 06:15 PM

had the same thing happen with my white cedars. I found that those with multiple
stems at the base suffered the worst when parts broke off down to the ground. so if
you replant evergreens make sure to trim them to single stem. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
Hastening decay of downed wood? Digital Larry Gardening 11 02-06-2008 06:15 PM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
Snow and Ice Salt Jim Schott Gardening 9 18-12-2003 08:12 AM
longleaf pines and ice damage...question ncstockguy Gardening 3 03-04-2003 02:08 AM