Old 27-07-2010, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default Treating my lawn for Japanese beetle grubs worth it?

In brooklyn1
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:23:52 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in
Minnesota that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately,
they don't seem to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or
would I still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my
neighbor's lawns?

DON"T place any traps about your yard. You know the yellow with
attractant. They do attract.

http://www.amazon.com/Milky-Spore-40.../dp/B000BX4VHE

Takes time but works.

Doesn't do any good if the neighbors don't treat their lawns too. It's
much more effective to treat ones plants once the beetles are present.

That's what I was wondering; I don't know how far beetles roam from
where they hatch.

Anything specific treatment for beetles?

So far, I've just been picking them off, but they're out there all day
and I'm not, so they're making a mess of the bushes.

Of course, this infestation is nothing compared to what I saw when I was
a kid growing up in Maryland. We used to collect enough to fill a
mayonase jar in a couple of hours, and that was when the jars were still
a full quart :-)

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN