Old 27-07-2010, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Treating my lawn for Japanese beetle grubs worth it?

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in Minnesota
that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately, they don't seem
to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or would I
still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my neighbor's lawns?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 27-07-2010, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in Minnesota
that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately, they don't seem
to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or would I
still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my neighbor's lawns?

DON"T place any traps about your yard. You know the yellow with
attractant. They do attract.

http://www.amazon.com/Milky-Spore-40.../dp/B000BX4VHE

Takes time but works.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 27-07-2010, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:23:52 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in Minnesota
that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately, they don't seem
to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or would I
still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my neighbor's lawns?

DON"T place any traps about your yard. You know the yellow with
attractant. They do attract.

http://www.amazon.com/Milky-Spore-40.../dp/B000BX4VHE

Takes time but works.

Doesn't do any good if the neighbors don't treat their lawns too. It's
much more effective to treat ones plants once the beetles are present.
Old 27-07-2010, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In brooklyn1
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:23:52 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in
Minnesota that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately,
they don't seem to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or
would I still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my
neighbor's lawns?

DON"T place any traps about your yard. You know the yellow with
attractant. They do attract.

http://www.amazon.com/Milky-Spore-40.../dp/B000BX4VHE

Takes time but works.

Doesn't do any good if the neighbors don't treat their lawns too. It's
much more effective to treat ones plants once the beetles are present.

That's what I was wondering; I don't know how far beetles roam from
where they hatch.

Anything specific treatment for beetles?

So far, I've just been picking them off, but they're out there all day
and I'm not, so they're making a mess of the bushes.

Of course, this infestation is nothing compared to what I saw when I was
a kid growing up in Maryland. We used to collect enough to fill a
mayonase jar in a couple of hours, and that was when the jars were still
a full quart :-)

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 27-07-2010, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in Minnesota
that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately, they don't seem
to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or would
still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my neighbor's lawns?

Lawn treatment is less effective if you can't get your neighbors to pitch in
and do theirs, too. And if you're using something other than biological
controls, you're poisoning your land for no good reason.

What others say about traps is only partially true. They come with very
clear instructions about placement (upwind, downwind - I don't recall at the
moment). A friend of mine eliminated her beetle problem pretty much
overnight a couple of weeks ago. Did the traps attract some that might not
have otherwise been there? Probably, and obviously, since it would be
illogical to wish they'd only attract the bugs from YOUR property. But the
traps DID distract the bugs and saved a bunch of plants.

The traps also offer a clue as to how long your vigilance must last. The
instructions clearly describe the seasonal nature of Japanese beetles.

Old 27-07-2010, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

In brooklyn1
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:23:52 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

[...]

If you want to get rid of the Japanese Beetles, get rid of your Roses.
Roses are not worth it! They attract those beetles that wreck your lawn.
Rose stems do not compost, thorns hurt, constant deadheading, prone to
diseases... Roses are not worth it! Save yourself the pain and misery,
get rid of the roses!

Plant flowers and shrubs that do well in your area. If the plants have
problems in your area get rid of them! Your garden will look better and
less work for you. Also you will use next to nothing on harmful
chemicals that harm our environment.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 27-07-2010, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In "Dan L."
wrote:

If you want to get rid of the Japanese Beetles, get rid of your Roses.
Roses are not worth it! They attract those beetles that wreck your
lawn. Rose stems do not compost, thorns hurt, constant deadheading,
prone to diseases... Roses are not worth it! Save yourself the pain
and misery, get rid of the roses!

Plant flowers and shrubs that do well in your area. If the plants have
problems in your area get rid of them! Your garden will look better
and less work for you. Also you will use next to nothing on harmful
chemicals that harm our environment.

Getting rid of the roses has crossed my mind before, for many of the
reasons you mentioned. The beetles hadn't been a problem 'til this
summer, but maybe this is the excuse that will finally convince my wife
that they need to go.

So far as I can tell, NOTHING else in the garden is the least bit
interesting to the beetles. I don't even see any visible evidence of
grub problems in the lawn, but if they're only just now getting
seriously established in Minnesota, that may come soon too.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 27-07-2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

In brooklyn1
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:23:52 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

[...]

I have rugosa roses. Obviously different from tea roses and other fussy
varieties, but the rugosas have had no diseases at all in the 10 years I've
been growing them. Their scent is terrific and even the leaves are
attractive. Yes, they have thorns, but I learned many years ago that if I
don't roll around on the bushes, I don't get hurt.

Old 27-07-2010, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
In "Dan L."
wrote:

[...]

In my friend's situation (mentioned in another message), the beetles went
after her fuschia plants, but not the roses a few feet away. Next year, who
knows?

Old 27-07-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Milky with also reduce mole populations. Nice side effect.

Old 31-07-2010, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 27 Jul 2010 13:05:22 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in Minnesota
that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately, they don't seem
to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or would I
still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my neighbor's lawns?

The grubs eat the grass roots causing brown spots to appear. It would
certainly help the lawn if the product is applied in a timely manner.

The J.beetles will fly to your property to sample your roses. I use a
systemic applied to synchronize with the June emergence. It is very
effective. Another method is the catch the beetles manually with a
wide-mouth jar containing a 1/2" of soapy water. Hold the jar
underseath the insect, a small tap, and drowns in the solution.
Old 31-07-2010, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
On 27 Jul 2010 13:05:22 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in Minnesota
that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately, they don't seem
to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or would
still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my neighbor's lawns?

The grubs eat the grass roots causing brown spots to appear. It would
certainly help the lawn if the product is applied in a timely manner.

The J.beetles will fly to your property to sample your roses. I use a
systemic applied to synchronize with the June emergence. It is very
effective. Another method is the catch the beetles manually with a
wide-mouth jar containing a 1/2" of soapy water. Hold the jar
underseath the insect, a small tap, and drowns in the solution.

Which systemic do you use?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In Bert Hyman
wrote:

So far as I can tell, NOTHING else in the garden is the least bit
interesting to the beetles.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

While I was entertaining myself picking the beetles off the rose bushes,
they were busily devouring our purple leaf sandcherries.

My excuse for not noticing 'til now is that the sandcherries are way in
the back, and the damage to the dark leaves is hard to see until you're
right on top of them.

They're positioned so that it's impractical to pick off the bugs as we
do with the roses, so some sort of chemical warfare might be needed
here.

We're also trying out some Bayer combo fertilizer/systemic
insecticide on the roses, but it's only been out for a couple of days.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 03:15:10 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

[...]

I use Ortho Rose systemic/food. If I *could* I'd get a systemic
product without the (inorganic) food I would. I tried a Bayor
product but not quite as effective as the Ortho. It is a bit too late
in the season for using systemics, most destructive insects eggs have
already hatched.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
In Bert Hyman
wrote:

So far as I can tell, NOTHING else in the garden is the least bit
interesting to the beetles.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

While I was entertaining myself picking the beetles off the rose bushes,
they were busily devouring our purple leaf sandcherries.

My excuse for not noticing 'til now is that the sandcherries are way in
the back, and the damage to the dark leaves is hard to see until you're
right on top of them.

They're positioned so that it's impractical to pick off the bugs as we
do with the roses, so some sort of chemical warfare might be needed
here.

We're also trying out some Bayer combo fertilizer/systemic
insecticide on the roses, but it's only been out for a couple of days.

They hit Wisconsin last year,with a vengence.
They also love raspberries, morning glories, various ferns, Queen of the
prairie, sundrops, milkweed, cherry trees, prairie dock, grapes and whatever
else happens to catch their fancy.

They're horrible and there's not much recourse against them other than
hoping global climate change gives us a break to allow the winter temps drop
low enough long enough to freeze them out.