Old 27-07-2010, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default Treating my lawn for Japanese beetle grubs worth it?

In "Dan L."
wrote:

If you want to get rid of the Japanese Beetles, get rid of your Roses.
Roses are not worth it! They attract those beetles that wreck your
lawn. Rose stems do not compost, thorns hurt, constant deadheading,
prone to diseases... Roses are not worth it! Save yourself the pain
and misery, get rid of the roses!

Plant flowers and shrubs that do well in your area. If the plants have
problems in your area get rid of them! Your garden will look better
and less work for you. Also you will use next to nothing on harmful
chemicals that harm our environment.

Getting rid of the roses has crossed my mind before, for many of the
reasons you mentioned. The beetles hadn't been a problem 'til this
summer, but maybe this is the excuse that will finally convince my wife
that they need to go.

So far as I can tell, NOTHING else in the garden is the least bit
interesting to the beetles. I don't even see any visible evidence of
grub problems in the lawn, but if they're only just now getting
seriously established in Minnesota, that may come soon too.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN