Old 28-07-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
gloria.p gloria.p is offline

Default ID this plant?

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jul 27, 6:19 pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Bought this flower at Home Despot. Was no name on display.
Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!
Nursery says the open one is Petunia. Is it?
What is the other one?

(Hope this works; I'm kinda new at uploading pix to NGs)
Tx

Yes, the larger flowers are petunias.
I believe the others are either torenia or nemesia.
(I had some in mixed flower pots this summer but
they died and I can't find the name stake.)

gloria p

Thanks, Gloria and David.

Gloria, since you had this plant -- when should I deadhead
and how much? The torenia/nemesia is getting leggy.

Tx

Yes, I had it, but it died, remember? I can't keep those small filler
plants (including lobelia) alive in a mixed pot.

Deadheading of annuals is usually done as the individual flowers die.
You can cut it all back by 1/3 I suppose but it will take quite a while
for new buds to form. They may not even form before a killing frost.
It's yours to experiment with. (Perhaps cut back just sections of it
and see how they do?)

gloria p